Town lots were first sold at Wilton in 1844 and the Church of England received two acres for a church, school and parsonage in 1866. With the introduction of coal mining in the district, miner’s homes were built in the village and more recent growth has been experienced with young families moving into the town. Probably the most eccentric character from Wilton was James Tyson, a multi-millionaire who made his initial fortune providing meat for goldminers in the Victorian goldfields. He hated women, never married, left no will and after his death, relatives were left to fight over his assets.
Population(as at Census 2011): 1890
Height above sea level: 210 metres